The Telecommunications, Radiocommunications and Broadcasting Regulator (TRBR) is pleased to present its third Telecommunications Sector Report, reporting on the state of the telecommunications and ICT market, trends and developments in Vanuatu in 2018. The Sector Report is primarily aimed at TRBR’s stakeholders; Government, Industry, Aid Donors and more generally the people of Vanuatu.
The Vanuatu telecommunications sector has continued to witness significant changes in 2018. With the uptake in mobile subscription and smartphones adoption, the increasing availability of 3G and 4G has stimulated access to data services as the two mobile operators continue to offer data promotions with increased value at affordable prices. Some key highlights from the Sector report are;
- Mobile subscription rose by 10% in 2018
- Mobile penetration increased to 89%
- Mobile data subscription grew by 52%
- Mobile data downloads increased by 222% to 2,132 terabytes in 2018
- Total market revenue went down by 8%, however long run trend still show positive growth
- Mobile data revenue has overtaken traditional Voice and SMS revenue as OTT services are becoming popular.